- by Kunal Sharma — last modified 2008-01-19 13:03
- This wetland is within the management of the community & is almost semi protected from but chances of pollution from the chemicals & pesticides from the tea fields surrounding the wetland exists. It is located about 1741 m above sea level, the perimeter being 0.2244km & the area of the swamp is about 0.7974acres. The people have planted Salix Spps within the wetland area knowing it will enhance the water retention capacity. There is a temple beside the wetland. The main source for the wetland is springs.
- Biological and botanical condition
- The vegetation of this wetland is marshy type. Dominated by the grass like Seemai karakai, Anai karakai, Cyperus digitatus, Pycreus sp., Kyllinga sp., Eriocaulon sp. Between the grass were herbs like Polygonum,Viola, Hydrocoyle, Centella, Rorippa, Limnophila heterophylla, Limnophila indica, Drynaria cordata, Stellaria media. Sapling of Solanum xanthocarpum, Cassia, Eupatorium glangulosum saplings, Sigesbeckia, Phytolocca were also found in the wetland. Trees species like Salix tetrasperma, Eleocarpus were seen in the wetland. Sapling of Salixwas also planted by the village community.
- Life forms like water boatman, water spiders etc were present in the wetland. The water is soft & the fluoride content is low & presence of coliform is high.
Denad drinking water Permissible limits Observed value pH 6.5-8.5 6.5 Temperature (0C) 10 18 Coliform Nil Yes Fluoride 1.0 (max) 0.6 Residual Chloride (mg/l) 0.2 <0.2 Phosphorous (mg/l) <1.0 Iron (mg/l) 0.3 1 Hardness (mg/l) 300-600 40 Chlorides (mg/l) 250-1000 886.25 Ammonia 1.5 <1.0 Turbidity(NTU) less than 5-10 10 Remark soft water,low fluoride content
- Washing of clothes in the upper region where the source for the wetland originates also pollutes the water. Grazing is also present.- Encroachment
– Heavy biotic pressure
– Revenue Status – Problem of commons
The land area of this medium sized wetland is 1.28 acres and much of this being under threat. Along with most major wetlands in the region, there is a need to regulate the use and abuse of wetlands.
Botanical and biological conditions
The wetland was marshy type. The wetland was dominated by Buffalo grass with herbs like Limnophila spp., Rotala spp., and Hydrocotyle spp. Centella and Viola were found moist soil. Rorippa was found on running water. The dry part or the upland of the wetlands were Eupatorium, Solanum verbascifolium, Lantana, Rubus ellipticus, Stepania, Phytolocca, Achyranthes, Leucas, Solanum sp., Asclepias, surrounding the wetland. Tea plantation with Silver oak was seen on the slopes of the wetland. Tree species like Salix, Eleeocarpus, Syzygium were also present.